Saturday, June 18, 2011

Favorite Cache of the Week / June 12 - 18, 2011

Since I am a chronic C&P (cut and paste) cache logger (and I feel badly about it) I have decided to pick a favorite cache from my weekly finds and write more extensively about the experience.

This week is one of those weird off weeks for me as the combination of moving and being over 100 degrees everyday kept me from going out. Although I only found six caches this week, one stands out as a favorite regardless of the quantity.

Android Cache is an unlikely pick for me. The cache type of Unknown / Puzzle / Mystery makes up less than a 0.5% of my total cache finds. The cache owner, AZcachemeister mentioned to me last year when he placed it that since I too had a Android I should find his cache. Now that I no longer have a smart phone due to budgetary constraints, it was indeed the perfect time to find his cache!

**Spoiler**

The puzzle itself is a very straightforward QR code hidden on the cache page. Since my Droid Dosen't anymore, I used an online barcode reader. Just upload the image and shazaam! there are your coordinates. The coordinates listed on the cache page (not where the cache is located) send you to a great little parking area for South Mountain where I have started many hikes into the park and as the cache page states, a great place to start this short hike. Once it got dark I headed out and parked in the empty lot. The moon was not yet out but I would not be going deep into the mountains. The darkness made the city lights sparkle even brighter. I followed the trail until the compass arrow pointed me to a rockier part where I could not discern a specific path. When I got to ground zero, there were many, many places to hide a cache but I didn't lose faith because the cache owner is an experienced cache hider. I was pretty sure the hide would (a) be hidden logically, (b) be rated correctly, and (c) not be some evil micro. I was right! A trademark AZcachemeister hide - cookie tin! Sat down, enjoyed the city lights and the breeze while signing the log sheet. On the way back to the Jeep a couple of good sized javelina crossed the trail about 10 feet in front of me heading for the lusher vegetation of human development. I love hiking the desert at night!

No comments: