Friday, December 26, 2008

Traveling Cache #5

I love finding traveling caches in the wild! I love the whole FTF kind of rush but with a factor of 10X because there are so few of these grandfathered caches available.

Christmas Day I was in Tucson with the family unit and there was some sort of snafu about who, or what, or where regarding the celebration. I took that opportunity of confusion to leave and drive like a mad-woman 30 minutes away in pursuit of another illusive traveling cache. I had been watching "Final Approach" ( MacGyver MOVING Cache # 27 ) bounce about the Old Pueblo for approximately six months. I thought I may have a change given that just about everyone in Tucson had already logged it during it's tenure here plus everyone should be unwrapping presents or eating their roast beast. At GZ I saw no footprints around the area so I was fairly sure I was the first to arrive today. I turned over some rocks and then started to get a little frantic with my search technique ;) After calming myself down and taking a look I immediately saw the wire jutting out over the edge of the pole. Ahhhh... yes, success! I got in the car and sped away, dialing Trizumi! to let him know that his girlfriend did yet again procure a travelling cache that he will be able to log from the comfort of his living room.

From his geocaching.com profile:

Traveling Geocaches my Girl Friend has Procured for me to Log in my Living Room

50 State Traveler She drove from Tempe to Mesa Arizona to complete the procurement process.
STOP AND GO,GO,GO, 3 She drove from Tempe to Tucson Arizona to complete the procurement process. We later left it on a stop sign in Ajo, Arizona.
Little Known Park Finder 2 She drove from Tempe to Scottsdale Arizona to complete the procurement process. Later we moved it to a park in Gila Bend, Arizona.

If you have not encountered or heard of a traveling cache it is just as the name implies: a cache that travels from place to place. Before the advent of travel bugs, a few physical geocaches were published with the requirement that the finder actually take the cache and rehide it in a different location. After placing in the new location the finder/hider would post the new coordinates in a cache log or email the cache owner to update the page. These types of caches are no longer allowed but a few are still around due to being "grandfathered" in.

Lots of people choose to hang on to travelling caches and take them to events, there were several about at GeoWoodstock VI. I logged this one then. But since the whole fun of the cache is the moving aspect I think just handing it to someone so they can get a smiley is declasse. Except for the boyfriend... because he does help me rehide it :)

No comments: